LAUNCH THE ONLINE PLAN SPONSOR GATEWAY DEMO
- Go to the 401k Demo Portal page.
- Click on the button for the Plan Sponsor Gateway Demo to arrive at a 401k Easy Online Plan Sponsor Gateway that we have customized for a fictitious company and its fictitious 401k plan.
We create a customized Plan Sponsor Gateway for each plan operated using 401k Easy Online. Your plan's gateway will grant your authorized personnel unlimited access to self-service 401k administration; only functions relevant to the options you have chosen for your plan will be included. For instance, should you choose NOT to allow for 401k loans, no mention of 401k loans or their related functions will appear. Read on for more information about the Plan Sponsor Gateway. Go to the Plan Options tab on our order forms page for a list and explanation of your plan customization options.
Introduction to Self-Service Plan Administration via Your Plan-Specific 401k Plan Sponsor Gateway
Entrance into your 401k Easy Online plan administration and participation occurs, respectively, through your customized Plan Sponsor Gateway and Plan Participant Gateway.
- The Plan Sponsor Gateway gives your authorized personnel Internet-based access to self-service 401k administration.
- The Plan Participant Gateway gives everyone in your company Internet-based access to self-service 401k participation, which includes access to information about your company plan and participating in it.
- The exact features and capabilities accessible through each gateway depend on the customization options you as Plan Sponsor choose for your company plan and those that the eligible employee chooses for his or her individual 401k account.
The Plan Sponsor Gateway is the plan sponsor's path to customized self-service plan administration, including convenient communication with company employees.
- Access is user-name and password protected. Only those individuals at your company whom you authorize can enter your Plan Sponsor Gateway.
- Functions are separated into two streams: Plan configuration functions (see next topic) control overall plan information and operation parameters, while day-to-day plan administration functions (see the topic after next) power and monitor day-to-day administrative activity.
The below topics explain the key features within the Plan Sponsor Gateway.
Plan Configuration Functions
As a plan sponsor, you use 401k Easy Online to further set up your customized 401k plan's operation. Plan configuration functions include:
- Configure Client — Allows authorized user(s) to view and edit the company name, address, tax ID number(s), etc. to be associated with the selected plan (you can run more than one type of retirement plan via 401k Easy Online; contact us for details) as well as to establish the log-in names and passwords authorizing entry to the plan's day-to-day administration functions.
- Configure Bulletins — Enables authorized user(s) to create Bulletins that will be visible by each employee as they log into the system.
- Configure Divisions — Enables authorized user(s) to create and modify Divisions to attach to employee data. Common Division categories include branch office locations and company departments (accounting, marketing, etc.).
- Configure Employees — Enables authorized user(s) to add, delete, or modify data relating to company employees. Data can be displayed in terms of any of a variety of data fields, including established Divisions.
Day-to-Day Plan Administration Functions
As a plan sponsor, you will use 401k Easy Online to run your customized 401k plan. Day-to-day plan administration functions include:
- Plans — Lets you view and edit (as appropriate) a list of your company's existing plan(s) (you can use 401k Easy Online to run more than one retirement plan) and to model a new plan, if desired, for approval submission.
- Transaction Log — Displays a list of transactions for the currently selected plan as well as the status of each transaction (pending, held, settled, etc.).
- Participants — Leads into the main participant activity functions for the selected plan. The initial panel displays a list of plan participants and links to the Plan Participant Gateway for access to direct management of employees' accounts, including loan, transfer, and distribution activity.
- Investments — Displays the investments currently offered within the selected plan. 401k Easy Online allows for no-load and/or load mutual funds (including no-load institutional mutual funds), self-directed brokerage accounts, annuities, and more. In fact, if the IRS says it's OK for 401k investment, it's likely compatible with 401k Easy Online. Visit our Investments page for details.
- Process Contributions — Allows the people your company authorizes to process regular as well as "special" 401k contributions, such as transfers from a previous employer's 401k plan. Contribution payroll information can be uploaded from a text file directly into the processing grid. The system will perform automatic validation checking and report any errors or rule violations encountered in the data.
The authorized user(s) can do all plan processing at once or save data and continue working with it later.
Once data is submitted for processing, it is held by the system until verification of funds is received through the asset custodian.
- Participant Loans, Transfers, and Distributions — Accessed through the Plan Participant Gateway, the Loans, Transfers and Distributions panel displays a list of pending loan, distribution, and transfer requests submitted by plan participants. Authorized plan administration user(s) can approve or deny the requests, and can also model new loans, distributions, and transfers for plan participants.
In addition, authorized plan administration user(s) can key in loan payoffs, partial payoffs, and re-amortizations. In the case of payoffs or partial payoffs, transactions remain in Pending status until verification of funds is received from the asset custodian.
- Activity — Accessed through the Plan Participant Gateway, the Activity panel displays a detailed list of buy/sell activity for all participants of the selected plan. Data can be filtered by date range, participant, investment name, and source.
If you like, try out some or all of these functions using our demo Plan Sponsor Gateway, which is accessible through our System Demos section.
Forms and Reports Functions
401k Easy Online's Forms and Reports functions include:
- Viewing and printing forms relating to activity in the plan. Forms include, among many others, enrollment, loan request, and request for investment statements being sent to more than one address.
- Viewing, printing, and generating any of a variety of administration reports, including contribution statements for participants, allocation logs, and ERISA 404c compliance logs (which list, among other things, fulfillment of information requests to eligible employees).
401k Easy Online employs technological as well as operational security features designed to safeguard all information without overly complicating the end-user experience. Security features range from the simple to the complex. For instance:
- Plan sponsors have the option of designating a person or persons (generally the company's 401k plan administrator) who must approve account changes that participants make via the Plan Participant Gateway before the changes can become effective.
- 128-Bit Encryption Security — Encryption helps protect private financial information as it travels over the Internet communications between the browser on the user's computer. Data is scrambled with 128 bit encryption security, then de-scrambled when it arrives back into the user's computer web browser.
- Confidential Log-in — Account information is accessible only with a valid log-in and PIN or password. Users who do not successfully enter login and password are locked-out after a few attempts.
- Automatic Log-off — The system terminates the user session if computer remains inactive for a designated period of time. This log-off feature helps prevent on-lookers from accessing confidential information if the user steps away from the computer.
- User Activity Reports + Logs — The system records all successful and unsuccessful sign-ons, monitors all activity, including unusual activity or discrepancies in user sign-on, and locks out users who do not correctly enter the registered login and password for the account, whether that account be a participant account or the administration account.
LAUNCH THE ONLINE Plan Participant Gateway Demo
- Go to the 401k Demo Portal page.
- Click on the button for the Plan Participant Gateway Demo to arrive at a 401k Easy Online Plan Participant Gateway that we have customized for fictitious employees of a fictitious company and its fictitious 401k plan.
We create a customized Plan Participant Gateway for each plan operated using 401k Easy Online. Your plan's gateway will grant unlimited access to self-service 401k participation and include only functions and information relevant to your company plan. For instance, should you choose NOT to allow for 401k loans, no mention of 401k loans will appear in the Plan Participant Gateway. Read on for more information about the Plan Participant Gateway. Go to the Plan Options tab on our order forms page for a list and explanation of your plan customization options.
Introduction to Self-Service Plan Participation via Your Plan-Specific 401k Plan Participant Gateway
401k Easy Online empowers plan participants to serve themselves to their 401k account activity and information, which they can do at any time, day or night, from any location connected to the Internet.
- 401k Easy Online self-service plan participation gives eligible employees on-the-spot access to enrolling in the plan, updating personal information, making and updating investment designations, viewing and printing activity reports and account statements, and 401k loan, transfer and distribution modeling and submissions, among other things.
- General as well as plan-specific investment information is available at a mouse click.
- Self-service plan participation is extremely convenient for plan participants and can greatly boost plan participation rates.
- Self-service plan participation means far less work for your in-house plan administrator.
401k Easy Online creates a home page for each plan participant. Upon login, the participant arrives at his or her home page.
- As plan sponsor, you can have 401k Easy Online display certain categories of information on each participant's home page, for instance, the participant's investment designations, account balances, and/or recent account activity.
- As plan sponsor, you can compose Bulletins via your Plan Sponsor Gateway for posting on employees' home pages. (Scroll up or use the middle tab in this page's topics menu to read about 401k Easy Online's plan administration features, which are accessed via the Plan Sponsor Gateway.)
Participants Update Information Themselves
Plan participants never have to involve your plan administrator in routine account information updates:
- Plan participants, after logging into their customized section of your 401k plan's Plan Participant Gateway, can update their personal information themselves, online, at their leisure. Participants can amend their address, telephone number(s), disbursement preferences, passwords, and more. 401k Easy Online immediately notifies your designated plan administrator via e-mail of any changes.
- As plan sponsor, you can elect to mandate that a designated party (likely your in-house plan administrator) approve changes before they can become effective.
Participants Update Investment Designations Themselves
Plan participants never have to go through your 401k plan administrator to access and/or amend salary deferral rates and/or investment designations.
- The participant's customized Plan Participant Gateway displays available plan investments and indicates those to which the participant is contributing and at what rates.
- The participant can, at any time, opt to amend his/her designations.
- Your company can elect to mandate that your 401k plan administrator approve changes before they become effective.
- All investment and salary deferral designations are restricted within 401k Easy Online by rates allowable under the current federal law.
Participants Monitor, Model and Apply for Loans, Transfers and Distributions Themselves
Plan participants never have to go through your 401k plan administrator for transaction information on existing loans, transfers, distributions, etc.. Instead, they simply go online and access the information themselves.
In addition, participants considering a new loan, transfer or distribution can have 401k Easy Online model the effect of such on their 401k account:
- During the modeling process, 401k Easy Online calculates the availability of funds based on money sources, aged buckets (if applicable), and other applicable rules.
- To accept a new loan, transfer or distribution, the participant must correctly answer one of the security questions that the employee established in setting up his or her Log In name and Password.
- New loans, distributions, and transfers must be approved by the 401k plan administrator and are indicated as Pending until so approved.
- 401k Easy Online gathers all the information the 401k plan administrator needs to approve or deny an application.
- You can elect to have 401k Easy Online automatically decline any new submissions for loans, transfers or distributions if an application for such from the employee is already in the system as pending approval of your plan administrator. This works as a safeguard against plan participants flooding the system with applications for the same transaction while the plan administrator awaits, for instance, consent of spouse approval.
Within the Loans, Transfers, and Distributions panel, the participant also has the option of downloading and/or printing necessary forms to request loans, distributions, and transfers in person from your 401k plan administrator and to manually perform other related account maintenance activities.
Participation Is More Than Simply Password Protected
Plan participants enter the Plan Participant Gateway by keying in the user name and password they establish during their first visit.
- Your 401k plan administrator issues a temporary password for that first visit to allow an employee entrance into the system.
- Eligible employees not currently enrolled in the plan can easily be granted temporary passwords by your 401k plan administrator so they can learn about the company 401k plan, investigate the online self-service system and see how easy saving money via the company's online 401k plan will be.
- When establishing their user name and password, plan participants also establish three identifying questions and answers, such as "Mother's maiden name?" answer: "Johnson." The questions are later used to confirm the participant's identity when the participant attempts certain transactions (for instance, applying for a 401k loan, or retrieval of his/her password).
- The system houses a log of each employee's user name, password and three questions/answers within the Plan Sponsor Gateway. Plan participants can request help from your 401k plan administrator (via the 401k Easy Online, in person, by phone, etc.) at any time.